The trail which was opened in 1993 is located in the North West New Territories on the fringes of the new town of Tin Shui Wai and was the first of its kind in Hong Kong. Its inauguration involved several years preparation by the Antiquities and Monuments Office and the Architectural Services Department with generous financial support from Hong Kong Jockey Club and Lord Wilson Heritage Trust and the cooperation of the Tang clan, one of the “Five Great Clans” in the New Territories, who built many of the historic buildings along the trail, and who have inhabited the area since the twelfth century.
TRAIL GUIDE BOOKLET A free booklet published by the Leisure and Cultural Services Department Antiquities and Monuments Office with a trail map and description and history of the buildings and monuments is usually available from Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre (closed Thursdays) in Kowloon Park, at the Hong Kong Planning and Infrastructure Exhibition Gallery at 2 Murray Road, Central (closed Tuesdays) and also at the Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre (closed Tuesdays). Visitors may find it useful obtain a copy of this booklet before starting the trail.
VISITOR CENTRE (PING SHAN TANG CLAN GALLERY CUM HERITAGE TRAIL VISITORS CENTRE)
Since 2007 the Old Ping Shan Police Station has served as the Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre which introduces visitors to the history of the Ping Shan Tang Clan and the monuments along the trail. The police station itself was constructed in 1899 and stands on a hill with commanding views of the surrounding area. After being replaced by Yuen Long Police Station in the 1960’s it was used as the training centre and headquarters of the Police Dog Unit before being splendidly restored to its former colonial glory and becoming the visitor centre. This is a good place for visitors to start the trail and free brochures describing the route and the history of the buildings are available here. The visitor centre is open 10am to 5pm daily except on Mondays (other than public holiday Mondays) and the first two days of Lunar New Year when it is closed. Admission is free. See also MUSEUMS - NEW TERRITORIES for more information about the Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre
The renovated Old Ping Shan Police Station now houses the Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre
The Old Police Station, seen here in colonial days, was opened in 1899
Tang Ancestral Hall (left) and Yu Kiu Ancestral Hall (right)
KUN TING STUDY HALL (1870), a two-hall building with courtyard. Open daily. Closed 1pm to 2pm.
HUNG SHIN TEMPLE(c.1767), a two-hall building with open courtyard
YEUNG HAU TEMPLE (unknown date), a simple structure divided into three bays housing three statues
HANG TAU TSUEN OLD WELL, on the trail between Yeung Hau Temple and Sheung Chueng Wai, the well is believed to be over 200 years old and was once the main source of drinking water for both villages.
Hang Tau Tsuen old well
SHEUNG CHEUNG WAI (c1800), the only walled village along the trail. The gate house, shrine, parts of the wall and some old houses still remain
Sheung Cheung Wai, the only walled village on the trail. Only a few of the old houses inside the walls remain, having been replaced by new buildings but a shrine and the rebuilt gate house are still intact
Shrine of the Earth God
TSUI SING LAU PAGODA (c1400), hexagonal-shaped three-storey green brick structure about 13 metres in height “Pagoda of Gathering Stars” intended as a fung-shui structure to ward off evil spirits. The only ancient pagoda in Hong Kong. Open daily 9am to 5pm (closed for lunch 1pm to 2pm). Closed on Tuesdays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day and the first three days of Lunar New Year. The pagoda is situated one minute’s walk from Tin Shui Wai MTR Station and makes a convenient finishing point for the trail.
Tsui Sing Lau Pagoda, the only ancient pagoda in Hong Kong
GETTING THERE - (starting the trail at the visitor centre)
MTR - West Rail to Tin Shui Wai Station then change to Light Rail. Take Light Rail service 701P one stop to Hang Mei Tsuen then change to service 761P and travel two stops to Ping Shan Light Rail Station. From the station there are tourist signs to the Ping Shan Tang Clan Gallery cum Heritage Trail Visitors Centre (5/10 minutes walk).
Ping Shan Light Rail Station is a short walk from the visitor centre and start of the trail
BUS – KMB bus route 53 (Yuen Long to Tsuen Wan Nina Tower) stops at Ping Shan Light Rail Station.